To search for a resort, use the “search by holiday destination” box on the homepage or explore page:
- Select the relevant country from the “country” dropdown menu.
- Type your resort name into the “resort” box.
- Your resort (or a list of possible resorts) will appear underneath. Click on the relevant resort.
- Click on the “Search” button.
Once you perform a historic destination search, you can filter down the results by historic period, date and/or figure using the dropdown menus at the top of the results page (under the map). Once you select your chosen historic period, date and/or figure, the search results will filter automatically.
Yes. Once you receive your search results, you can use the dropdown menus at the top of the results page (under the map) to filter them by location. Just select the country and/or resort you want.
Typically, when you search by resort, the results will include all sites within a 50 mile radius of that resort.
All sites on Historvius have up to three categories of time period or figure and the filters in our results page only show the top one listed.
For information on how to upload a site, see our quick site upload tutorial.
No. You do not have to register to use any part of Historvius.
To upload a site, all you need to provide is:
- Its name
- The country in which it is located
- A short summary of it, i.e. what it is
- A more detailed description of the site. This can include its history, what can be seen when visiting it and any useful other information you know about the site. Basically, as much as you want to include.
Everything else is optional.
To do this, you can either click on the map in the relevant location or insert its Google Maps coordinates in the fields above. See our quick mapping tutorial.
You can add a site to the shortlist itinerary by:
- Clicking on the ± sign next to a site name in the result page; or
- Clicking “add to shortlist” in the top right-hand side of a site page.
You can choose to print and/or save up to three types of itinerary documents:
- Trip Summary Page: A summary of your whole trip including a map and a list of the sites included.
- Day Summary Page: A summary of each day of your trip including a map and a list of the sites included.
- Site Information Pages: Specific information about each site in your itinerary including a description, contact information and directions.
You can select all three options. You must select at least one in order to be able to print an itinerary.
- Create a shortlist of sites.
- Select how many days you want in your itinerary in the “Your Preferences” section on the planner page.
- Using your mouse, click on one site in the shortlist at the bottom right of the planner page. Keep your finger on the button and drag the mouse left to where it says “please drop sites here” under the relevant day.
- Select which of the print/save options you want in the “Your Preferences” section on the planner page.
- Once you have completed your online itinerary, click on the “generate itinerary” button at the bottom of the page.
To review and update your itinerary, enter your custom URL into any Internet browser. You can find this in the “Your Preferences” section on the planner page and in the top right hand corner of your printed itinerary.
No. You do not have to register to use any part of Historvius. To view or update your itinerary later, just use the customer URL found in the “Your Preferences” section on the planner page and in the top right hand corner of your printed itinerary.
Does it cost anything to use or enjoy Historvius or to have an historic site featured?
There are no costs at all in using, viewing or uploading information to Historvius. It’s all free for everyone.
Why is Historvius in “beta” mode?
This is a kind of testing stage. As a new website, we’re still checking out our functionality and trying to discover whether there are technical kinks as well as any ways we can improve the user journey as a whole.
I uploaded a photo. Why has it not been added to the site?
If you have uploaded a photo and it has not been added to the site, this might mean we haven’t received it for technical reasons. If your photo hasn’t been added to the site within a week of upload, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to check on it. As a general guide, we would suggest keeping photo file sizes to a maximum of 4MB to help prevent any upload issues.